Round-up: Pope strike saves point for St Ives
St Ives I 2-2 Cambridge University II --- ST IVES made a bright start to their key game against the high-flying University side. Derrick Pope carried the ball down the left, and cut inside to hit a deflected shot, which Ben Griffiths dispatched to give S
St Ives I 2-2 Cambridge University II ---
ST IVES made a bright start to their key game against the high-flying University side. Derrick Pope carried the ball down the left, and cut inside to hit a deflected shot, which Ben Griffiths dispatched to give Saints an early lead.
The game tightened up and chances were at a premium as both sides cancelled each other out until the break.
The Cambridge team started to control the pace of the game at the start of the second half and scored after ten minutes when their unmarked forward fired home. Minutes later Ives fell behind, and the University team seemed to have taken control.
Ives worked hard and got back into the game as Jamie Moise and Dave Land worked the defence and Derrick Pope rounded two defenders to slot the ball home.
St Ives's next match is away to Brentwood.
- 1 St Neots Street Food Fest promises to be "bigger and better"
- 2 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
- 3 Shoplifter barred from every M&S and Sainsbury's in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 5 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 6 Plans to demolish barn and create organic food business
- 7 Philip Pope named mayor of St Ives for a second time
- 8 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 9 St Neots business raises £2700 for Ukrainians in Huntingdonshire
- 10 Public meeting to discuss Luton aircraft stacking system
Cambs Nomads 1-2 St Ives II
A first-half strike by Richards and a goal five minutes from time by Perry gave St Ives II a well-earned 2-1 win at Cambridge Nomads.
St Neots III 2-4 St Ives III
The third team's strong run of form continued with a 4-2 away win at neighbours St Neots III. Howard Weir netted an equaliser in the first period and goals in the second half by Andy Moore, Dave Jones and Rob Brand saw Ives to a comfortable win.
St Ives IV 4-2 March Town III
The fourth team were due a win, and they were rewarded for enterprising play with a positive 4-2 result over March III. McGlashan and Forsdick were on target for Ives with well-taken goals and solid defending from Bryden and Coxan foiled most of March's attacks.