Round-up: Henson heroic but Blueharts victorious
Blueharts II 2 St Neots III 0 SAINTS goalkeeper Corinne Henson was in sublime form as she pulled off three penalty saves, but could not prevent her team falling to defeat to a strong Blueharts side. The hosts attacked strongly from the start, keeping Hens
Blueharts II 2 St Neots III 0
SAINTS goalkeeper Corinne Henson was in sublime form as she pulled off three penalty saves, but could not prevent her team falling to defeat to a strong Blueharts side.
The hosts attacked strongly from the start, keeping Henson almost constantly busy, and went ahead with an unstoppable drive.
Three penalties were awarded against sinning Saints, but each time Henson proved her worth to keep her team in it. Saints tried in vain to find a route to goal but the final ball into the circle was not good enough. Saints' defeat was confirmed when Henson produced another great stop, only to see the rebound lifted over her into the net.
You may also want to watch:
St Ives 1 Lowestoft 1
ST IVES travelled to Lowestoft knowing that the winners would lead the league through the Christmas break, but saw their run of seven wins come to an end.
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 5 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 6 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 7 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 8 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 9 Award for teenager's bravery after losing his sight
- 10 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
Ives grabbed the initiative from the off, but could not turn a series of short corners into goals and were made to pay for their wastefulness when a Lowestoft breakaway exposed gaps in the Ives defence and the visitors went ahead.
Ives kept their heads and were back on terms by the break when Anne Selfe slotted home in a goalmouth scramble.
The match became a feisty affair in the second half, with green cards issued to players on both teams for robust tackling. Defenders Vicky Leighton and Lexi Taylor restricted Lowestoft's opportunities in the second half, and though they could not find a winner, Ives became the first team to take points off Lowestoft this season.