Rising tennis star Kira Reuter claims silver at the Scottish Junior Open
HEMINGFORD Grey’s young tennis star Kira Reuter won a silver medal at the Scottish Junior Open Tennis Championships at the Craiglockhart Tennis Centre in Edinburgh last week.
The tournament, usually an outdoor clay court event, was moved indoors after the first two rounds, following 11-year-old Reuter’s wins over No2 seed Alice Thane (from Yorkshire) and Hannan Davies (from Avon).
In the quarter finals of the age-group competition, Reuter met the left handed No6 seed Hannah McColgan, who is from Cheshire. This was a highly competitive match and both players had set points before the Huntingdonshire girl took the tie 7-6 6-4.
Surrey’s No3 seed Emily Appleton was next and it was the strength and accuracy of Reuter’s backhand side that proved the difference when she won 6-3 6-0.
In the final, on Friday afternoon, Reuter was pitted against the No4 seed Nell Miller from Kent. This was another highly competitive match but the defensive qualities of Miller’s game was the difference between the two players and she ran out the 6-1 6-3 winner.
You may also want to watch:
“I was disappointed not to have won, but delighted to have made it to the final,” said Reuter.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 4 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 5 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 6 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 7 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 8 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
- 9 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
- 10 Manager of BID Huntingdon is retiring after 11 years of service