Rising tennis star Kira Reuter claims silver at the Scottish Junior Open
HEMINGFORD Grey’s young tennis star Kira Reuter won a silver medal at the Scottish Junior Open Tennis Championships at the Craiglockhart Tennis Centre in Edinburgh last week.
The tournament, usually an outdoor clay court event, was moved indoors after the first two rounds, following 11-year-old Reuter’s wins over No2 seed Alice Thane (from Yorkshire) and Hannan Davies (from Avon).
In the quarter finals of the age-group competition, Reuter met the left handed No6 seed Hannah McColgan, who is from Cheshire. This was a highly competitive match and both players had set points before the Huntingdonshire girl took the tie 7-6 6-4.
Surrey’s No3 seed Emily Appleton was next and it was the strength and accuracy of Reuter’s backhand side that proved the difference when she won 6-3 6-0.
In the final, on Friday afternoon, Reuter was pitted against the No4 seed Nell Miller from Kent. This was another highly competitive match but the defensive qualities of Miller’s game was the difference between the two players and she ran out the 6-1 6-3 winner.
“I was disappointed not to have won, but delighted to have made it to the final,” said Reuter.
- 1 Historic Huntingdon building on the market for nearly £500k
- 2 'Our inspiration' - Baby born four months early survives fight for life
- 3 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Garage demolition opponents set up Facebook group
- 5 Huntingdon bookshop gets share of £2m online profits
- 6 Universal credit households to receive £20 for rising living costs
- 7 Old Bailey trial begins of Rikki Neave murder suspect
- 8 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 9 Four doctors and a nurse off sick with Covid-19 at Fenland surgeries
- 10 Will Young talks about handcuffing himself to the Camp Beagle gates