WOMEN’S FOOTBALL: St Ives Town Ladies roar onto the Eastern Region Women’s League stage in Sunday season-opener
- Credit: Archant
St Ives Town Ladies launch their Eastern Region Women’s League adventure this Sunday.
They entertain Lawford Ladies at Westwood Road, 2pm, in their first-ever fixture at this level after storming to the Cambs Women’s Premiership crown last term.
Manager Darren Marjoram has drafted in a number of new signings and is hopeful the ambitious local club can establish themselves in Division One.
Marjoram said: “Every game promises to be a test for us and we need to find our feet quickly.
“We have a fantastic squad who will give their all and enjoy their football. With a group like this the sky is the limit.
You may also want to watch:
“But we are being realistic and a mid-table finish is the target for our first season at this level. Hopefully that can be achieved.
Locally-based former Cambridge United striker Lauren Gibson and ex-Wisbech Town midfielder and skipper Emily Stephenson feature among the new St Ives recruits.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 5 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 6 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 7 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 8 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
Caitlin Jarman (teenage winger from Histon Under 17s), Fran Worrall (midfielder returning to the game after a five-year absence) and Katie Luddy (attacking talent dual-signed with Fulbourn Bluebirds) have also joined.