WOMEN’S FOOTBALL: St Ives Town Ladies roar onto the Eastern Region Women’s League stage in Sunday season-opener
- Credit: Archant
St Ives Town Ladies launch their Eastern Region Women’s League adventure this Sunday.
They entertain Lawford Ladies at Westwood Road, 2pm, in their first-ever fixture at this level after storming to the Cambs Women’s Premiership crown last term.
Manager Darren Marjoram has drafted in a number of new signings and is hopeful the ambitious local club can establish themselves in Division One.
Marjoram said: “Every game promises to be a test for us and we need to find our feet quickly.
“We have a fantastic squad who will give their all and enjoy their football. With a group like this the sky is the limit.
“But we are being realistic and a mid-table finish is the target for our first season at this level. Hopefully that can be achieved.
Locally-based former Cambridge United striker Lauren Gibson and ex-Wisbech Town midfielder and skipper Emily Stephenson feature among the new St Ives recruits.
- 1 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
- 2 St Neots Street Food Fest promises to be "bigger and better"
- 3 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 4 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 5 Shoplifter barred from every M&S and Sainsbury's in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Philip Pope named mayor of St Ives for a second time
- 7 Woman who could barely walk is taking part in cycling event after shedding 19 stones
- 8 Plans to demolish barn and create organic food business
- 9 A14 westbound reopens after crash caused 7 miles of delays
- 10 New organic coffee shop opens in St Neots
Caitlin Jarman (teenage winger from Histon Under 17s), Fran Worrall (midfielder returning to the game after a five-year absence) and Katie Luddy (attacking talent dual-signed with Fulbourn Bluebirds) have also joined.