FUTSAL: Fine achievement as Godmanchester Rovers Youth lads and St Ivo School girls reach national semi-finals
- Credit: Archant
Two Huntingdonshire teams reached the semi-finals of the National Youth Futsal Cup last Sunday.
Godmanchester Rovers Youth Under 14s and St Ivo School Under 14 Girls both reached the last four in Birmingham.
The Rovers lads won all four of their group games – beating opposition from Herefordshire, Oxfordshire, Devon and Lancashire – before being seeing their fine run ended by a 3-0 loss to another Herefordshire side, Fownhope, in the semi.
“I’m really proud of the boys,” said Rovers manager Roger Quince, whose side won the regional final in Cambridge the previous weekend.
“We played 16-minute matches straight through in very hot conditions and the boys were very tired by the time we got to the semi.
“The 3-0 scoreline flattered our opposition in a match which was much tighter than the result might suggest.”
St Ivo School also advanced from the group stage before seeing their run end at the semi-final stage when losing 3-2. They led 2-1 until conceding twice in the closing stages of the game.
- 1 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 2 Police ‘increasingly concerned’ for woman missing since Wednesday
- 3 Huntingdon man due in court on drug charges
- 4 Jail for Huntingdon man who threatened to kill woman
- 5 New bus service launched to serve Hunts villages
- 6 Read the fascinating history of The Old Bridge Hotel
- 7 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
- 8 Man who died on A1 at Sawtry is named
- 9 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 10 Serious case review launched into death of Teddie Mitchell
Coach Molly Berryman said: “The girls did remarkably well to win their group when playing in the heat against tough opposition, including futsal academies.
“It’s an amazing achievement to be ranked joint-third in the country and testament to the girls’ drive and ability.”
Godmanchester Rovers Youth Under 14 squad: Ashley Quince, Cameron Eakins, David Buchan, Sam Terry, Harrison Scaife, Mackenzie May, Harvey Davis,Jack Squire.
St Ivo School Under 14 Girls squad: Angel Lyden, Ella Hampton, Tia Everdell, Megan Bullin, Kellie-Marie Dixon, Megan Scott.