Record-breaking Olly ensures St Ives are Fitt for battle
- Credit: Archant
St Ives Swimming Club made a successful start to their Arena National League challenge with a first round triumph at Wellingborough.
The local talents saw off competition from five other clubs to power to the top of the standings.
They provided 21 of the 50 race-winners and also claimed 10 second-places and nine third-places.
Among the individual highlights were a club age-group record 100m individual medley performance from Olly Fitt which formed part of a personal hat-trick of wins, and a men’s freestyle triumph from British Summer Championship god medallist Andy Weatheritt, who had previously held the record broken by Fitt.
There was a double-success for Cathy Thomsen in the women’s section while Lucas Dove and James Quinn were among some impressive younger winners along with Becky Hime and Jaz Dearnley, who both tasted breaststroke success.
You may also want to watch:
Other swimmers to deliver excellent performances Emma Fitt, Charlotte Flynn, Abbie Thompson, Ewan Desborough, Toby Everett, Harry Everett, Connie Newstead, Georgia Newstead, Ed Hick, Brandon McDonald, Evan Taylor, Matt Hall, Sophie Turner, Alice Turner, Amy Chalmers, Joe Cox, Harry Bygraves, Peter Todd, Mia Townsend, Isabel Pond, Danielle Chabot, Josh Dobson, Ellie Watson, Ellie Roberts, Fran Crocker, Lucy Ella, Joe Short, Daniel Moore, Ellie Collinge and Tom Lucas.
Final standings: St Ives 229pts, Wellingborough 207, Notts Leander 184, UEA Norwich 156, Dereham 153, Great Yarmouth 120.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 5 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 6 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 7 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 10 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph