Rawlins makes merry at Stanjay Christmas Series
Angling with Stan and Fizz
STANJAY CHRISTMAS SERIES
THIS year’s Christmas Series has been difficult to organise with so many of the venues frozen solid, but Dave Rawlins beat the conditions to emerge the winner.
The first match, on December 27, was fished on Factory Bank. Ice breaking was accomplished with a variety of implements from sledge hammers to scaffold poles but, remarkably, once everyone had their Eskimo hole, the roach fed with 3lb 15oz the lowest weight and Rawlins winning with 8lb 14oz.
Dave Thornton was second, Roy Whincup third and Brian Gibson fourth.
RESULT: 1. Dave Rawlins Fox Match Stanjay 8lb 14oz, 2. Dave Thornton Garbolino Peterborough 7lb 12 � oz, 3. Roy Whincup Fox Match Stanjay 7lb 4 � oz, 4. Brian Gibson Fox Match Stanjay 5lb 12oz.
- 1 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
- 2 Shoplifter barred from every M&S and Sainsbury's in Cambridgeshire
- 3 St Neots Street Food Fest promises to be "bigger and better"
- 4 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 5 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 6 Plans to demolish barn and create organic food business
- 7 Philip Pope named mayor of St Ives for a second time
- 8 Woman who could barely walk is taking part in cycling event after shedding 19 stones
- 9 A14 westbound reopens after crash caused 7 miles of delays
- 10 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
Match two was also on Factory Bank on Thursday, December 30, with some remarkable roach weights taking the top three spots.
Garbolino Peterborough’s Dale Stones took top spot with 16lb 12oz. In second place was Fox Match Stanjay’s Matt Roberts with Thornton third.
RESULT: 1. Dale Stones Garbolino Peterborough 16lb 12oz, 2. Matt Roberts Fox Match Stanjay 15lb 5oz, 3. Dave Thornton Garbolino Peterborough 14lb 10oz.
Match three was fished on Sunday, January 2 in Benwick village and saw a win for Anthony Watling with Trevor Oakman second and Jon Hazelden third. Fourth spot for Dave Rawlins was enough to secure the overall series title.
RESULT: 1. Anthony Watling Fox Match Stanjay 7lb 12oz, 2. Trevor Oakman Fox Match Stanjay 5lb 3oz, 3. Jon Hazelden Browning Hotrods 4lb 12oz, 4. Dave Rawlins Fox Match Stanjay 2lb 14oz.
RAMSEY club have managed to hold three matches since Christmas.
On Sunday, there was an Angling Trust Pike Qualifier held on an ice-free Ramsey Narrows. The 15 anglers present caught 30 pike between them, the biggest weighing in at 14lb.
The winner was Rob Wright from Wisbech with five pike for 31lb 10oz, while second-placed Paul Brockenhurst caught just three, including the biggest of the day to total 20lb 9oz. Both qualify for autumn’s pike final.
There was also a club match at Factory Bank and with the whole stretch clear it was decided to use the pegs nearest to the village. John Price drew peg one, which was also a �100 golden peg, and he caught 13lb 13oz to win the match and take the golden peg fund. Paul Kilby was second with 11lb 7oz and Paul Irons third.
RESULT: 1. John Price 13lb 13oz, 2. Paul Kilby 11lb 7oz, 3. Paul Irons 9lb 2oz, =4 Ivan Steels & Ray Steels 8lb 5oz.
East Midlands Winter League – Round 6 – Fen Drains – Draw Three Horseshoes Turves 8am
Ramsey AS – Ramsey Narrows – Draw 8am – Fish 9.30am-1.30pm
St Ives AS – Contact Chris Geeson