Ramsey students among those celebrating Peterborough area kickboxing achievements
NINE students who train at Ramsey were among those from the Peterborough area British Chinese Kickboxing Association who were celebrating their achievements in the sport this week.
The club has won more than 150 trophies this season and coach Andy Whitwell said that the dedication of both the students and parents has been behind this success.
“I am so proud of everyone,” he said. “It takes a lot of commitment from the fighters to enter competitions throughout the year.
“We also have a lot of parents who support their children by getting them to the training sessions and competitions.
“Without their support, the young fighters would not be able to attend the tournaments. The parents deserve a lot of credit for this success too.
In the picture are Freya Molloy, Chelsea Munday, Scott Wesley, Aaron Godden, Tom Street, Leon Gold, Grant Brown, Ritchie Walton, Andy Whitwell, Courtney Brown, Simon Munday, Zac Culpin, Daren Nunn, Harry Nunn, Charlotte Cameron, Lauren Dixon, Jazmyn Evans, Harley Hilliam, Edward Paddock, Jaden Harris, Pierce Knox, Kane Coleman, Alisha Knox and Braydon Evans.
A few of the students were missing from the session, but in the picture are 138 of the trophies won in 2012 and 17 medals.
- 1 Cigarette butt in stolen car puts burglar behind bars
- 2 East of England Tourism Awards 2021-2022: Pub of the Year finalists
- 3 Trainee chef reaches finals of national competition
- 4 'The impossible is possible' - Cambs' Kat Cordiner breaks Atlantic record
- 5 Bakery and baking school opens after Crowdfunding push
- 6 Huntingdon man due in court on drug charges
- 7 Petition calls on county council to reject waste incinerator
- 8 Read the fascinating history of The Old Bridge Hotel
- 9 New bus service launched to serve Hunts villages
- 10 Jail for Huntingdon man who threatened to kill woman
Four of the students – Simon Munday, Chelsea Munday, Wendy Whitwell and Alan Johnson – also became first degree black belts in November.
“I was particularly impressed and so proud of my wife Wendy in the sparring rounds she fought an England team international fighter who won silver at the world championships in Canada in October,” said Whitwell.
“Wendy took on board my advice on how to fight this predictable competitior – who is half her age – and she dominated the fight and even earned praise from the England team manager and other international fighters in attendance.
“Wendy had already taken Second Degree Black Sash in Kung Fu earlier in the year.”
The Ramsey section of the Peterborough area BCKA Club trains at Ramsey College on Sundays between 6.30pm and 8pm. For more information, contact the coach on 07969 792286.