Promising St Neots prospects set to join Northampton Saints
- Credit: Archant
Two budding St Neots talents have been snapped up by one of the biggest clubs in English rugby.
Centre Billy Woodgate and flanker Jay Lilley, who are both 13, have both been selected to join the Elite Players Development Group (EDGP) of Premiership side Northampton Saints.
The two players will have access to training at a much higher level with staff from Saints’ Academy while playing matches for the club at weekends.
They will also continue to train and play with St Neots whilst also still receiving coaching with the Huntingdon & Peterborough District Developing Player Programme.
They were two of eight boys from last season’s St Neots Under 13 squad to be selected for the county programme.
You may also want to watch:
Lilley, a pupil at Longsands Academy in St Neots, and Woodgate, who attends the Margaret Beaufort Middle School in Riseley, have been close friends for several years.
Lilley took up rugby at the age of five and persuaded Woodgate to get involved in the game a couple of years later.
- 1 Man jailed for sexual relationship with schoolgirl
- 2 Man dies following collision near Bluntisham
- 3 Vaccine centre closure date announced amid 60,000 doses target
- 4 Labour organiser criticises Labour mayor for hiring a Tory as deputy
- 5 Palmer's 'flagship' £100k homes will be council houses
- 6 Check out some of Huntingdonshire's fascinating history
- 7 New trophies to celebrate achievement at St Neots school
- 8 A fund has been set up in memory of Nathan Cowell
- 9 Landmark A14 viaduct demolition is captured on camera
- 10 Interactive map shows Covid Indian variant cases in Huntingdonshire