Promising St Neots prospects set to join Northampton Saints
- Credit: Archant
Two budding St Neots talents have been snapped up by one of the biggest clubs in English rugby.
Centre Billy Woodgate and flanker Jay Lilley, who are both 13, have both been selected to join the Elite Players Development Group (EDGP) of Premiership side Northampton Saints.
The two players will have access to training at a much higher level with staff from Saints’ Academy while playing matches for the club at weekends.
They will also continue to train and play with St Neots whilst also still receiving coaching with the Huntingdon & Peterborough District Developing Player Programme.
They were two of eight boys from last season’s St Neots Under 13 squad to be selected for the county programme.
You may also want to watch:
Lilley, a pupil at Longsands Academy in St Neots, and Woodgate, who attends the Margaret Beaufort Middle School in Riseley, have been close friends for several years.
Lilley took up rugby at the age of five and persuaded Woodgate to get involved in the game a couple of years later.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 5 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 6 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 9 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 10 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity