Popular Parr tipped to be ring star after debut triumph
- Credit: Jerry Daws
Matty Parr started his professional career in style by coming through the toughest debut fight his trainer has ever witnessed.
The popular 23 year-old Huntingdon puncher out-pointed Lithuanian scrapper Egidijus Kakstys in a thriller at Mercy Nightclub, Norwich on Saturday.
Parr, cheered on by a travelling army of more than 100 local fight fans, piled on the pressure in the closing stages of the four-round battle and came close to forcing a stoppage.
Trainer and manager Steve Whitwell said: “This was undoubtedly the hardest debut fight I have ever seen.
“It would have been easy for Matty to start out with an easy fight, but he wanted to be tested from day one and that was certainly the case.
You may also want to watch:
“He has a lot of work to do in the gym and his defence is an issue at times, but he is a massive talent and he can go a long way with the correct guidance.
“I can see him being snapped up by a top promoter for TV shows within a few fights if he continues giving his supporters nights like this.”
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 5 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 6 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 9 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 10 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
Parr is expected to return to the ring in September.