Poor show means Saints’ first loss
UCL Premier Division St Ives Town 0 Wellingborough Town 2 A POOR performance saw St Ives slump to their first league defeat of the season at Westwood Road. Joint manager Jez Hall admitted his side had not deserved anything from the game, despite hitting t
UCL Premier Division
St Ives Town 0 Wellingborough Town 2
A POOR performance saw St Ives slump to their first league defeat of the season at Westwood Road.
Joint manager Jez Hall admitted his side had not deserved anything from the game, despite hitting the woodwork after only three minutes.
You may also want to watch:
Simon Claridge saw his header palmed onto the woodwork by the visiting goalkeeper and Scott Fielding missed an early chance but after that, the home side struggled.
Wellingborough took the lead on 24 minutes through Richard Thompson and added a second shortly after half-time through Rob Gould, though the goal had more than a hint of offside about it.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 3 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 4 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 5 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 6 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 7 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 8 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 9 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
St Ives threw themselves forward as the game drew to a close but never found the rhythm required to break down the visitors' defence.
Hall said: "There were too many players having off-days and there can be no excuses - we had a team out that should have been good enough to win but we didn't perform.
"We created a few half-chances towards the end but once we were two-nil down, a comeback didn't look likely."
St Ives were hoping to bounce back in last night's (Tuesday) home fixture against Newport Pagnell. Saints travel to rivals Yaxley on Saturday.