POOL: Hot potting prospect Luke Gilbert earns England spot
- Credit: Archant
Top Huntingdon potter Luke Gilbert has received an England call-up.
The teenage sensation came through recent trials to earn his place in the national Under 18 team.
Gilbert, a sixth-form student at St Peters School, won’t have to wait long for his first taste of international competition - he will feature in singles and team action at the European Championships in Blackpool, from February 12-17.
Gilbert, who had narrowly missed out on selection last year, said: “I’m looking forward to representing England and I’m confident we have a good chance of winning the team event.
“It is the first time I have competed at international level and it it will be interesting to see how I get on in the singles event.
“There will be some experienced players involved as it’s an under 18 event but I will use this event to prepare myself for the World Championships later in the year.”
Gilbert is the captain of Cambridgeshire and will lead the local county into the national finals, which take place in March.
- 1 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 2 Eight Huntingdon children handed anti-social behaviour interventions
- 3 A1 set for night-time and weekend closures until August
- 4 Two-day closure set for B661 between Great Staughton and Grafham Water
- 5 Meet the Sassy Lassies cycling group encouraging women in Huntingdonshire to ride
- 6 Suspected case of bird flu in swan reported to DEFRA
- 7 Police check home of 101-year-old animal rights patron for stolen beagles
- 8 A "determined" Huntingdon man takes on Everest after a double lung transplant
- 9 New homes plan for Huntingdonshire village
- 10 Site cleared after 'grenade' prompts alarm
He is also an accomplished snooker player and hopes to take up that sport professionally in the future.
Gilbert’s practice partner at the 147 Snooker Club, in Huntingdon, Dom Cooney, is part of the England pool side at Under 23 level.