Play-off pain as Godmanchester miss out on promotion to the East Anglian Premier League
- Credit: Archant
Godmanchester Town saw their hopes of winning promotion to the East Anglian Premier League dashed today.
The Tucker Gardner League Division One title-winners were beaten by 144 runs at Two Counties League champions Sudbury in a play-off clash.
Town were dismissed for 144 in pursuit of the home side’s impressive tally of 296-9 as they were unable to secure a return to EAPL level for the first time since suffering relegation back in 2009.
Godmanchester had their hosts in trouble at 77-3 with Kiran Adhav claiming a couple of victims and Paul Swannell taking the prized wicket of dangerman Tom Huggins.
But they had no answer to a match-winning fourth-wicket stand of 158 between centurion Darren Batch and Akeel Hosein.
You may also want to watch:
Those wickets eventually went to Adhav and Aziz respectively while Bevis Moynan also took three wickets.
Godmanchester never looked like troubling the hosts’ score as were removed with almost 13 overs to spare. Top-scorer Nick Willmer (44) was the only man to make any real inroads as their final seven wickets fell for just 58 runs.
- 1 Emergency services close St Neots road after medical emergency
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 4 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 5 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 6 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 7 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 8 Haul of weapons including a knuckleduster seized from Little Paxton home
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
SUDBURY beat GODMANCHESTER by 144 runs
T. Huggins lbw b Adhav 26
N. Poole b Swannell 37
A. Mansfield st Durrant b Adhav 5
A. Hosein b Aziz 66
D. Batch ct Durrant b Adhav 109
B. Reece run out 1
S. Witham c Pateman b Moynan 11
J. Poulson ct Durrant b Moynan 4
K. Moulton-Day c Rose b Moynan 8
A. Younger not out 2
B. Moulton-Day not out 0
TOTAL: (50 overs) 296-9
T. Aziz c Mansfield b B. Moulton-Day 20
N. Willmer st Mansfield b Hosein 44
M. Pateman ct Younger b Reece 6
K. Adhav lbw b Huggins 15
P. Swannell ct Reece b Huggins 13
A. Cousins st Mansfield b Hosein 12
S. Rose c B. Moulton-Day b Hosein 7
M. Durrant c Poole b Huggins 14
P. Jefferson not out 5
B. Moynan lbw b Hosein 0
E. Baldwin lbw b Huggins 2
TOTAL: (37.1 overs) 152