Piranhas snap up prizes
YOUNG swimmers from Huntingdon Piranhas won a hoard of medals from the inaugural Cambridgeshire County Novice Swimming Championships. A total of 91 medals – 34 gold, 36 silver and 21 bronze – were awarded to members of the swimming club. With nearly all t
YOUNG swimmers from Huntingdon Piranhas won a hoard of medals from the inaugural Cambridgeshire County Novice Swimming Championships.
A total of 91 medals - 34 gold, 36 silver and 21 bronze - were awarded to members of the swimming club.
With nearly all the club's participants finishing in the top six places, the swimmers also set 117 new personal bests.
Top performers at the event included Adrian Vuylsteke (two gold, four silver), Alex Youngs (three gold, one silver, one bronze), Daniel Coles (one gold, three silver, one bronze), Matthew Lardner (two gold and two silver), Michael Blundell (two gold, one silver and two bronze) and Taylor Goodby (three gold).
Head coach, Ashley Morris, who said: "This was a great day for the club. We had a large number of swimmers taking part and their efforts were rewarded in an excellent medal haul."
* St Neots swimmer Christian Stokes will this weekend race against his home county in a gala featuring some of the brightest talent in East Anglia.
- 1 Cigarette butt in stolen car puts burglar behind bars
- 2 East of England Tourism Awards 2021-2022: Pub of the Year finalists
- 3 'The impossible is possible' - Cambs' Kat Cordiner breaks Atlantic record
- 4 Bakery and baking school opens after Crowdfunding push
- 5 Trainee chef reaches finals of national competition
- 6 Huntingdon man due in court on drug charges
- 7 Petition calls on county council to reject waste incinerator
- 8 Read the fascinating history of The Old Bridge Hotel
- 9 New bus service launched to serve Hunts villages
- 10 Jail for Huntingdon man who threatened to kill woman
Stokes, 14, will represent Bedfordshire in a six-counties meeting in Thurrock, Essex, on Saturday. He qualifies for Beds because he is a member of Biggleswade Swimming Club and the Biggleswade-based Mid Beds Swim Squad.
Teams from Essex, Hertfordshire, Beds, Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire will all be taking part.