Piranhas retain trophy
AFTER a close competition, Huntingdon Piranhas swimming club retained the Bongo Raj Spring Shield trophy for the third successive year. The Piranhas left themselves a lot to do as they trailed by 12 points with only ten races to go in the event, held at
AFTER a close competition, Huntingdon Piranhas swimming club retained the Bongo Raj Spring Shield trophy for the third successive year.
The Piranhas left themselves a lot to do as they trailed by 12 points with only ten races to go in the event, held at Huntingdon Leisure Centre.
They turned things round, however, with a storming finish that saw them take six wins from the remaining races and leap-frog runners-up Chatteris to win by two points.
Mildenhall finished third and Bottisham were fourth.
You may also want to watch:
The five individual wins the club registered on the night were courtesy of Megan Waring in the U11 50m butterfly, Samantha Green in the U13 50m freestyle and 50m backstroke, Hannah Brand in the U15 50m breaststroke, and Katherine Stanworth in the open 50m backstroke.
In an event that saw the team set 21 personal best times, the Piranhas also won three of the mixed age relays.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 4 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 5 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 6 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 7 Huntingdon assistant land buyer wins graduate award from her peers
- 8 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 9 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 10 How well do you know Huntingdon?
FOUR other Piranhas competed in the Luton Open Swimming Gala, taking a gold medal and two bronzes, as well as 14 personal best times, between them.
Chelsea Prouten won gold in the U12 50m butterfly, and bronze in the U12 50m breaststroke.
Tamara Richards took a bronze medal in the U13 50m butterfly.