CYCLING: Phillips earns World Championships spot and continues St Ives series success
- Credit: Archant
St Ives Cycling Club time trial star Tim Phillips has booked his place at the World Championships for amateur riders.
Phillips will compete in Varese, Italy in August after producing a fine display in the recent Tour of Cambridgeshire chrono event.
Phillips completed the 16.4-mile test in 37.51 – more than two minutes quicker than his 2017 effort - to finish 13th in his M45-49 age group.
Four other St Ives CC riders – Ann Knights, Sarah Kelman, Neil Elliott and Tony Egbe – all qualified for the Gran Fondo race at the World Championships thanks to their Tour of Cambridgeshire performances.
* Phillips continued his domination of the club’s weekly 10-mile time trial series with a fourth victory of 2018 last week.
You may also want to watch:
He triumphed in 22.07 to beat runner-up Adrian Beer by 22 seconds. Jack Burgin took third place in 23.36 while Cecilia Hime was the fastest female rider on show in 27.32.
Latest St Ives CC 10-mile time trial results: 1 Tim Phillips 22.07, 2 Adrian Beer 22.28, 3 Jack Burgin 23.36, 4 Cy Gearing 23.45, 5 Mike Hoy 23.59, 6 Jack Taylor 24.30, 7 Charlie Bratt 24.48, 8 Daniel Rigby 25.20, 9 Phil Oxborough 25.21, 10 Martin Hall 25.46, 11 Tony Cork 27.10, 12 Bob Cooper 27.20, 13 Cecilia Hime 27.32, 14 Sarah Kelman 28.20, 15 Holly Hoy 28.22, 16 Bea Pauley 29.50, 17 Lilly O’Dell 30.04, 18 Chris Penney 31.11, 19 Dan Benham 31.29, 20 Ryan O’Dell 32.19, 21 Jacob Woods 36.28.
- 1 What are the outstanding primary schools in Huntingdonshire?
- 2 Patients avoided going to the doctor out of fear of 'catching Covid'
- 3 Hoax caller flouted strict court order after just three days
- 4 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 5 'We want to help our market towns' - Funding plans extended due to pandemic
- 6 Huntingdon care home company scoops award in region's top 20
- 7 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 8 New community space opens at Alconbury Weald
- 9 Homebirths suspended at Hinchingbrooke Hospital due to staff shortages
- 10 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
* St Ives CC member Nathan Gibson was seventh in the Junior Male category at the fourth round of the National Cross-Country MTB Series yesterday.