RUGBY: Selection headache for St Ives chiefs following friendly success
- Credit: Archant
St Ives were successful in a final warm-up fixture ahead of their debut Midlands Division Two East (South) season.
Phil Brown’s men triumphed 34-22 in a friendly clash at Ely Tigers to lift the home club’s Percy Walker Cup crown.
Will Nelson claimed two tries for the Bulls with Joe Cox, Michael Wright, Will Mandley and OIlie Bartlett also touching down in an often exciting and occasionally feisty encounter played over four quarters.
Director of Rugby Brown said: “This was a great opportunity for members of the squad to display their readiness for the upcoming season and the youngsters who have come through the ranks were particularly impressive.
“Happily we seem to have a few selection headaches to sort out in the coming days ahead of our first game of the season.”
You may also want to watch:
St Ives begin their league campaign with a home date against Coalville on September 8 ahead of a mouth-watering local derby at Huntingdon the following Saturday.
Stags suffered relegation to this level from Midlands Division One East last season. Damien Whales’ men have their only pre-season outing is this Saturday at Saffron Walden.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 3 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 4 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 5 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 6 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 7 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 8 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 9 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k