Owen Harrison: Huntingdon’s answer to Tom Daley
Ten-year-old diver wows event organisers in Barcelona
HE is Huntingdon’s answer to Tom Daley.
Daley might be GB’s diving darling going into London 2012, but 10-year-old Owen Harrison is proving he is one for the future.
Here he is at the crucial moment in his armstand somersault routine on the five-metre board, performed at the 17th International Diving Trophy event in Barcelona last weekend.
You may also want to watch:
Harrison, who is also one of Huntingdon’s gymnastics starts of the future, was the youngest of all 188 international divers that headed to the Catalonian capital for the prestigious event.
He had to dive up an age group in order to be able to compete at all, meaning he was up against boys up to three years his senior.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
- 7 Former Stevenage midfielder is the new manager of Eynesbury Rovers
- 8 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 9 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house
- 10 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester
It was also his debut international event and also the first time he had dived into an outdoor pool.
That impressed organisers so much that they awarded him a special trophy.
In the platform event, he came 17th out of 21 while in the 3m event, he came 22nd out of 25.
Harrison was competing as a member of the seven-strong Cambridge Dive Team squad, who brought home a stack of medals.
They were part of an event involving 188 divers, 31 clubs (eight of them British) from seven other nations, namely: Spain, Germany, Russia, France, the Netherlands, Lithuania and Latvia.
They dived into the iconic pool on Montjuic, overlooking Barcelona – scene of the 1992 Olympic Games.