Opening day fixtures released for St Ives, Huntingdon, St Neots, Godmanchester and Eynesbury
- Credit: Archant
All the Huntingdonshire teams now know who they’re up against on the opening day of the new football season.
Eynesbury Rovers will travel to Oadby Park in the opening round of the United Counties League Premier Divison on Saturday, August 9.
Rovers co-manager Matt Plumb was unfazed by his side’s start to the new season.
He said he was “not too worried about who we’re playing”. But he was disappointed with the organisation of the fixtures.
“The first three games are away then we’re at home, but a couple of teams have got their first six games at home,” Plumb said.
You may also want to watch:
“I don’t know how they do the fixtures but they should be done so they can keep it as close to home and away each week as possible.”
St Ives open their Southern Football League Division One Central account away to North Greenford United on August 9.
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 3 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 6 Award for teenager's bravery after losing his sight
- 7 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 10 Huntingdon assistant land buyer wins graduate award from her peers
New manager Ricky Marheineke said it was a tough start but one the team would be looking forward to, adding that there were no expectations for the new season.
He told The Hunts Post: “I think it’s unfair to set targets without experience of the league but we will be aiming for the play-offs and challenging the players to push themselves forward.”
St Neots’ opening day fixture away to Hereford in the Southern Football League Premier Division could be in jeopardy according to chairman Mike Kearns.
He said: “We don’t know if they’re going to play because they are in all sorts of trouble.”
Kearns added: “We’re training for the game but we’re not sure if it will go ahead.”
? Other fixtures: Huntingdon Town vs Harrowby United (August 13)
Godmanchester Rovers vs Kirkley and Parkfielld (August 9)
Rushden and Higham United vs St Neots Town Youth and Saints (August 9)