One set of Rovers celebrate as another bunch see red in the Hunts Under 18 Cup final

Eynesbury Rovers celebrate their Hunts Under 18 Cup triumph.

Eynesbury Rovers celebrate their Hunts Under 18 Cup triumph. - Credit: Archant

Eynesbury Rovers continued their domination of the Hunts Under 18 Cup on Friday night.

The current crop of Rovers youngsters powered to the club’s fourth success in the competition in the past five seasons.

They triumphed on home turf by recording a 3-1 victory against Godmanchester Rovers at Hall Road in a matched laced with controversy.

Godmanchester striking duo Ashley Hehir and Conor Beaumont both received red cards only seconds apart in the second half, leaving their team to complete the final 12 minutes with just nine men.

Beaumont had earlier drawn first blood when firing Godmanchester ahead early on. He was picked out by Lewis Powter’s superb diagonal pass, outmuscled a defender and poked the ball into the net.

Chris Hartley then came close to doubling their lead just a few moments when steering a half-volley from a Hehir cross just over the bar.

Eynesbury had a chance of their own mi-way through the first half as Thorpe met Blake Rivers’ cross at the front post, but the outstretched hand of George Bugg denied them a leveller.

Most Read

Despite enjoying the lion’s share of possession, Eynesbury were struggling to cope with their opponent’s direct style of play and only the referee’s whistle stopped Godmanchester doubling their advantage, after he spotted a foul on goalkeeper Lee Pickering as a host of players converged on him.

But Eynesbury did succeed in turning the contest around thanks to a brace of Rhys Thorpe goals either side of the break.

He grabbed an equaliser on the stroke of half-time when striking at the second attempt after his initial shot had rebounded off a post.

It got even better for Thorpe early in the second half as he earned and converted a penalty to edge his side ahead.

Only a terrific goal-line clearance from Ryan Wood denied him a hat-trick moments later before the game was effectively killed off as a contest by the double Godmanchester dismissal.

Hehir was red-carded for an off the ball incident while Beaumont was awarded a second yellow card for kicking the ball away in frustration.

Bugg held firm to deny Eynesbury further goals with a string of good saves, but his resistance was broken in the third minute of stoppage time as Sam Bloy slotted away a clincher.


EYNESBURY ROVERS: Lee Pickering, Tommy Fairbrass, Thomas Payne, Cameron Harris, Ollie Lee, Jake Smith, Josh Roberts, Reuben White, Rhys Thorpe, Lee Northfield, Blake Rivers, Tom Banks, Aaron Rymer, Sam Bloy, Joe Ackroyd, Sean Haran.

GODMANCHESTER ROVERS: George Bugg, Lewis Powter, Ellis Ogle, Jake Crow, Ryan Wood, James Osbourne, Chris Hartley, Peter Southee, Ashley Hehir, Conor Beaumont, Charlie Dolden, James Horrey, Ben Hagger, Jacob Overall, Kieran Clements.

OFFCIALS: Referee - Gabriel Rabatin. Assistant referees - Gianni Forcelatti and Ian Serjeant. Fourth official – Laurence Parnham.