OLYMPIC GAMES: Louis Smith excels in men’s qualification
- Credit: Archant
Huntingdon star Louis Smith delivered an accomplished performance as he made his Olympic Games entrance today.
Smith’s fine routine on the pommel horse earned a score of 15,700 as he became the first local ace to go into action in Rio.
It was the second-best score produced on that piece of apparatus as Great Britain team-mate Max Whitlock led the way on 15.800.
The GB side qualified for the men’s team final on Monday with the individual apparatus finals taking place next Sunday (August 14).
“I’m so proud of the team to qualify for the final and it also feels incredible to have qualified for my third Olympic pommel final,” tweeted Smith.
You may also want to watch:
He is aiming to complete a full set of individual medals after earning Bronze in Beijing eight years ago and then followed up with silver in London in 2012.
- 1 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 4 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 5 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 6 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 7 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 8 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home