NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Dramatic comeback as Godmanchester Rovers show their title credentials by beating the table-toppers

Captain Micky Hyem hit a dramatic late winner as Godmanchester Rovers beat table-toppers Stowmarket.

Captain Micky Hyem hit a dramatic late winner as Godmanchester Rovers beat table-toppers Stowmarket. Picture: DUNCAN LAMONT - Credit: Archant

Godmanchester Rovers boss Ollie Drake reckons a dramatic comeback success last Saturday proves his team are Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division title contenders.

Charlie Bowen headed a late leveller before captain Micky Hyem fired a stoppage time winner as Rovers recovered from 2-1 down to beat table-toppers Stowmarket Town 3-2 at the David Wilson Homes Ground.

It was a terrific success against the big-spending Suffolk side who are widely tipped to become champions – and one that Drake is adamant his men fully deserved.

He watched much of the contest from the stand following a dismissal from the dugout after his side fell behind for a second time in the first half.

“It was a great comeback and probably the most mature performance I’ve seen from my team,” said Drake. “I could not be more proud of the players and the coaching staff.

“It could easily have gone wrong in the first half, but we showed great character and quality to turn the game around and get three points that were 100 per cent deserved in my opinion.

“We dominated the second half and that only increased when we changed system with 20 minutes to go.”

Most Read

Rovers fell behind early on before Hyem lobbed in a leveller after a quarter of an hour, but they found themselves trailing again just six minutes later.

And it was that second Stowmarket goal – allowed to stand despite what Drake described as a ‘clear foul’ on Rovers defender Arran Mackay in the build-up – that led to the Godmanchester boss being given his marching orders.

His side remained behind until the closing stages when Bowen headed in a corner to level before Hyem provided last-gasp glory after fine work from Buster Harradine and Jack Chandler.

Drake added: “There was a clear foul in the build-up to Stowmarket’s second goal and that’s what I got myself so irate.

“I asked the referee four questions as he walked back to restart the game and he ignored me, but as soon as I used an explicit word he appeared to hear and then sent me to the stands.

“I felt decisions from the officials cost us in the FA Cup defeat at Hitchin the previous weekend and that was probably still in my mind.

“I was right in what I said, but didn’t convey my thoughts in the correct manner and that’s something I’ll try to ensure doesn’t happen again. I apologised at half-time to the referee for using foul language.”

Rovers go to Hadleigh this Saturday.