Now this really is an inspired substitution - Brampton boss-for-the-day send himself on to score the winner
- Credit: Archant
Stand-in player-boss Simon Linnell made an inspired substition for Brampton last Saturday - throwing himself on to score a last-gasp winner!
Linnell, in charge of the Kershaw Premier Division side with boss Wayne Ambler and assistant Adam Burnley away in Barcelona, struck somewhat fortuitously in the last-minute to earn a 3-2 victory against Gamlingay.
Linnell’s cross, intended for striker Danny Cain, evaded everyone and looped into the net to secure a fifth successive win for in-form Brampton.
They had earlier fallen behind before George Cresswell volleyed in a leveller.
Gareth Owens converted a penalty early in the second half, but Gamlingay responded to restore parity.
And the match looked set to end level until Linnell’s late show.
The win means Brampton go into their Hunts Intermediate Cup final against Peterborough & District League side Warboys Town at Godmanchester Rovers (7.45pm) tonight on a high.
- 1 St Neots Street Food Fest promises to be "bigger and better"
- 2 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 3 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 4 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 5 Shoplifter barred from every M&S and Sainsbury's in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 7 Public meeting to discuss Luton aircraft stacking system
- 8 Plans to demolish barn and create organic food business
- 9 Philip Pope named mayor of St Ives for a second time
- 10 St Neots business raises £2700 for Ukrainians in Huntingdonshire
Warboys warmed up for the county showpiece with a thumping success last Saturday.
Dan Moulds and Michael Cafferkey both struck twice in an 8-0 drubbing of Spalding United Reserves.
A new date is still to be arranged for the Hunts Lower Junior Cup final - between AFC Barley Mow and Fenstanton - which was postponed last Wednesday.