NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Two sets of Saints march on in the FA Trophy

Taylor Parr hit St Neots Town's winner in the FA Trophy. Picture: CLAIRE HOWES

Taylor Parr hit St Neots Town's winner in the FA Trophy. Picture: CLAIRE HOWES - Credit: Archant

St Neots Town and St Ives Town came through their opening FA Trophy tests yesterday.

The leading local sides both avoided slipping on the potential banana-skins provided by away ties at lower-level opponents in the first round qualifying.

Taylor Parr fired a late winner as St Neots won 3-2 at Evo-Stik North Division One (South) side Bedworth United.

Saints had twice trailed during the first half only for in-form frontman James Hall to level on both occasions.

They suffered a nightmare start when conceding inside the opening minute, but Hall fired his first equaliser on the quarter-of-an-hour mark.

Bedworth, relegated from the Southern League Premier Division, in which Saints play, last season, hit the front again eight minutes before the break, but Hall responded from the penalty spot on the stroke of the interval after strike-partner Sam Mulready had been bundled over inside the box.

The hosts were reduced to 10 men early in the second period, but Saints couldn’t make their numerical advantage count until seven minutes to go when Parr struck.

Most Read

St Ives’ passage into the second round qualifying stage was more emphatic as they slammed another Evo-Stik North Division One (South) side.

Ben Seymour-Shove started and finished the scoring in a 4-1 success at struggling Nottinghamshire side Carlton.

He broke the deadlock in the eighth minute before Buster Harradine fire his first goal for the club to double St Ives’ advantage.

It was soon halved by a high-class free-kick strike from Carlton man Danny Gordon, but St Ives sealed their passage in the second period.

Only three minutes had passed when Josh Dawkin struck for the second time in as many games, before Seymour-Shove bagged his second goal with 10 minutes remaining.

There was still time for teenage substitute Tiago Dias to see a penalty saved.

The victories yesterday are worth £2,700 in prize money to St Neots and St Ives.

The draw for the next round takes place tomorrow (Monday) with ties scheduled for November 12.