NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Three-month wait for a league win ends as striker Corey Kingston inspires Huntingdon Town success

Corey Kingston struck twice and won a penalty as Huntingdon picked up a welcome win. Picture: J BIGG

Corey Kingston struck twice and won a penalty as Huntingdon picked up a welcome win. Picture: J BIGGS PHOTOGRAPHY - Credit: Archant

Huntingdon Town snapped a miserable United Counties League Division One run last Saturday.

Jimmy Brattan’s side triumphed for the first time in 11 games when winning 3-1 at Rushden & Higham.

Strike ace Corey Kingston was a key figure, scoring two of Town’s goals and also earning the penalty which clinched a first success for three months.

Kingston’s opener was cancelled out by the hosts in the opening period, but he restored the advantage soon after the break.

Jake Waterworth then did the honours from the spot after Kingston was brought down by a defender who was sent off.

That penalty ensured a return to winning ways for the first time since a 5-3 victory against Long Buckby on January 20.

Brattan said: “I have always maintained that our lads are much better than their recent results and this performance proved me right.

Most Read

“We had to put the bad run out of our minds and focus on the job of playing football.

“We didn’t start well and Rushden & Higham were the better side for opening 15 minutes, but we grew into the game and got into our rhythm.

“The work-rate on and off the ball was absolutely fantastic and there is no doubt we deserved a win that is long overdue.

“The result showed we have some big characters in the squad despite having such a difficult run lately.”

Brattan is keen for Huntingdon to follow up with another success in their final home fixture of the campaign this Saturday.

Town entertain Melton Town at Jubilee Park before facing a Monday trip to Bugbrooke. Both of those teams sit below them in the Division One standings.

Huntingdon’s season concludes on May 5 when travelling to Lutterworth Athletic.