NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Super strikes earn a spectacular success for St Ives Town, but St Neots Town are left in the cold by postponement

Ben Seymour-Shove completed St Ives Town's late turnaround at Stratford last night.

Ben Seymour-Shove completed St Ives Town's late turnaround at Stratford last night. - Credit: Archant

St Ives Town produced a spectacular late turnaround to snatch Southern League Premier Division victory last night.

Ricky Marheineke’s side clinched a dramatic 3-2 triumph at Stratford despite the fact they were trailing in the 90th minute.

Jack Bradshaw hauled them level with a classy first goal for the club before Ben Seymour-Shove smashed in a winner in the third minute of stoppage time.

“A draw was probably a fair result, but thanks to two absolute wonder strikes, we came away with all three points,” said Marheineke.

“Earlier in the season, we struggled to get back into games after falling behind.

“But we now have a confidence and determination to keep going when the chips are down.

“I’m a very happy man and so are the players. They’re all enjoying their football and are getting the rewards for their hard work.

Most Read

“I know how the Stratford manager feels because we’ve been in that position a couple of times ourselves. It’s certainly better for the boot to be on the other foot!”

Saints lost skipper Charlie De’Ath to injury in the warm-up and suffered a nightmare start to the game when falling behind inside the opening minute to a Justin Marsden effort.

Jack Higgs quickly had them back on level terms, but they found themselves in arrears again when Will Grocott struck for the hosts in the 84th minute.

But a losing predicament turned into a winning position during the late drama as Saints took another big step towards reaching their 48-point safety target - although any threat of relegation has long since disappeared.

Marheineke, who takes his side to Biggleswade Town this Saturday, added: “We were poor in the first half when we struggled to deal with the way Stratford moved the ball.

“We couldn’t get any sort of control of the game and were relatively happy to come in level at half-time.

“We were much better in the second period and did not deserve to fall behind again. A defeat would have been very tough to take, but we managed to turn it into another win which gets us closer to where we want to be.”

St Neots Town suffered a night of frustration as their home clash against Slough was postponed little more than 10 minutes ahead of the scheduled 7.45pm kick-off.

The match referee was unhappy with parts of the Premier Plus Stadium surface.

St Neots remain a point above the relegation zone ahead of a visit from high-flying Hitchin this Saturday.