NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Success tonight can send St Ives Town storming into the top half of the Southern League Premier Division
- Credit: Archant
St Ives Town are out to snap a three-match losing streak tonight - by producing a performance that excites their supporters.
The Saints entertain Merthyr Town in a re-arranged Southern League Premier Division clash at ProEdge Westwood Road (7.45pm).
The initial staging of fixture was postponed at the end of last month when the Welsh club’s bus broke down on the M42 while on route.
It was swiftly rescheduled and victory tonight would see Saints jump no fewer than seven places from their current 18th spot into the top half of the Premier Division standings.
Marheineke said: “We’re expecting a tough game, but it’s one we are looking forward to.
You may also want to watch:
“We have more than matched two very good teams in Chippenham and Dunstable despite losing our last two league games.
“We need to continue performing the way we have been doing when in possession, but we have to concentrate for longer periods defensively and make it harder for teams to score against us.
- 1 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 2 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 3 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 4 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 5 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 6 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 7 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 8 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 9 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 10 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
“Our home form has generally been good and we need to put in a performances that makes the supporters want to get behind us.”
Recent signing Danny Kelly is likely to feature for St Ives again tonight. The former Cambridge City striker hit a debut goal in a 4-1 loss at Dunstable last Tuesday.
* St Ives Town’s stars of tomorrow enjoyed a notable success last night.
The club’s Under 18 side reached the second qualifying round of the FA Youth Cup for the first time.
They twice came from behind to beat Corby Town 3-2 at Jubilee Park in Huntingdon.
Callum Shepherd and Ewan Smith hit equalisers before an own goal edged Saints ahead, but they were still reliant on some fine defending and a terrific Tom Smith save to ensure they advanced.