NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Striker sent off as St Neots Town slide into the Southern League Premier Division relegation zone
- Credit: Archant
St Neots Town plunged into the Southern League Premier Division drop-zone after a fourth successive league defeat today.
Andy Davies’ men dropped to fourth-bottom in the standings after being beaten by a solitary strike from Nathan Walker, three minutes into the second half, at Dorchester.
Saints’ poor discipline returned to haunt them again as they had a player sent off for the third time in four games.
Striker James Hall was dismissed after 25 minutes for collecting two cautions in the space of 90 seconds – the first for dissent and the second for a late challenge.
Boss Davies said: “I’m not worried about our league position at this stage of the season, but the number of red cards we are picking up is a concern.
You may also want to watch:
“We controlled much of the game with 10 and 11 men and there is no doubt in my mind that the better team were beaten.”
Saints’ frustration increased in the second half when they saw a strong penalty appeal ignored by a referee who instead chose to book wideman Ryan Hawkins for simulation.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 5 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 6 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 9 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 10 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
But they twice came close to salvaging a point during a late rally in which skipper Tom Ward saw an effort hacked off the line before Declan Rogers was denied by a point-blank save.
Davies handed a debut to new defensive signing Charlie Ward. He played alongside brother, Tom, at centre back.
St Neots are back in action on Monday night when they travel to Hitchin.