NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Striker sent off as St Neots Town slide into the Southern League Premier Division relegation zone
- Credit: Archant
St Neots Town plunged into the Southern League Premier Division drop-zone after a fourth successive league defeat today.
Andy Davies’ men dropped to fourth-bottom in the standings after being beaten by a solitary strike from Nathan Walker, three minutes into the second half, at Dorchester.
Saints’ poor discipline returned to haunt them again as they had a player sent off for the third time in four games.
Striker James Hall was dismissed after 25 minutes for collecting two cautions in the space of 90 seconds – the first for dissent and the second for a late challenge.
Boss Davies said: “I’m not worried about our league position at this stage of the season, but the number of red cards we are picking up is a concern.
“We controlled much of the game with 10 and 11 men and there is no doubt in my mind that the better team were beaten.”
Saints’ frustration increased in the second half when they saw a strong penalty appeal ignored by a referee who instead chose to book wideman Ryan Hawkins for simulation.
- 1 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
- 2 Woman who could barely walk is taking part in cycling event after shedding 19 stones
- 3 Philip Pope named mayor of St Ives for a second time
- 4 St Neots Street Food Fest promises to be "bigger and better"
- 5 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 6 A14 westbound reopens after crash caused 7 miles of delays
- 7 New organic coffee shop opens in St Neots
- 8 Shoplifter barred from every M&S and Sainsbury's in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Plans to demolish barn and create organic food business
- 10 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
But they twice came close to salvaging a point during a late rally in which skipper Tom Ward saw an effort hacked off the line before Declan Rogers was denied by a point-blank save.
Davies handed a debut to new defensive signing Charlie Ward. He played alongside brother, Tom, at centre back.
St Neots are back in action on Monday night when they travel to Hitchin.