NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: St Neots Town talent Ryan Hawkins could follow former team-mate Tom Meechan into the Football League with Newport County
- Credit: Archant
A second St Neots Town talent could be set to break into the Football League with Newport County in the space of eight months.
The League Two club swooped to sign prolific striker Tom Meechan from Saints back in February . . . and now they’re in the hunt for exciting wideman Ryan Hawkins.
The 21 year-old trained with County last week and is due to be given another opportunity to impress in the coming days.
Newport boss Graham Westley is a known admirer of Hawkins and offered him a trial when in charge of League One outfit Peterborough back in January - only for the player to suffer a season-ending ankle ligament injury.
“Graham was keen on having a look at Ryan when he was managing Posh last season,” said St Neots manager Andy Davies.
You may also want to watch:
“Unfortunately Ryan got injured just as it came about and ended up missing the rest of the season
“But Graham has clearly remembered him and requested the chance to have another look at him at Newport.
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 3 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 4 Award for teenager's bravery after losing his sight
- 5 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 6 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 10 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
“Ryan was down there last week and he’ll be training with them again this week.
“I’m expecting a call from Graham towards the end of this week and we’ll see how we take things from there.
“But I, like everyone at St Neots, wishes Ryan well and hope he can earn a move into the Football League.
“Nothing gives me greater satisfaction than seeing a young player progress in the game.”
Hawkins, who also had a trial at League Two side Stevenage earlier this season, is under contract at St Neots for the current season so any move would involve a transfer fee.
Newport are frequent spotters of talent in this area. Not only did they snap up Meechan from St Neots earlier this year, they also signed Northern Ireland international frontman Conor Washington from St Ives Town back in 2012.