NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: St Ives on the rise; St Neots suffer home horror; both sets of Rovers triumph and Town bow out of cup

Danny Kelly was one of St Ives Town's goalscorers in their win at Basingstoke. Picture: LOUISE THOMP

Danny Kelly was one of St Ives Town's goalscorers in their win at Basingstoke. Picture: LOUISE THOMPSON - Credit: Archant

St Ives Town climbed into their highest league position of the season courtesy of a super away success today.

Strike duo Dubi Ogbonna and Danny Kelly fired Saints to a terrific 2-0 triumph at Basingstoke in the Southern League Premier Division.

Ogbonna turned in a third-minute corner from Jack Higgs to give Saints the perfect start and Kelly doubled the advantage when converting a Tom McGowan cross 10 minutes before the break.

The victory lifted them into 16th spot – four points clear of a relegation zone which still features St Neots Town after they suffered a home humiliation today.

Andy Davies’ suspension-riddled side crashed to a 5-1 defeat against fellow relegation battlers Hayes & Yeading in their first outing for more than a fortnight.

They fell behind in the opening minute and were left with a mountain to climb after conceding two further goals in the space of nine minutes before the break.

Another quick salvo from the visitors ahead of the hour mark meant St Neots were well beaten by the time James Hall hit their consolation goal from the penalty spot after debutant Charlie Day had been sent tumbling.

Most Read

Captain Joe Furness hit a late winner to complete a Godmanchester Rovers comeback today.

They extended their unbeaten run under new player-boss Chris Hyem to six league games with a 2-1 success against bottom side FC Clacton in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division.

Rovers fell behind early on, but Arran Mackay’s 10th goal in eight games hauled them level on the half-hour before Furness settled the contest.

Eynesbury retained second spot in the United Counties League Premier Division thanks to a smooth home win.

A spell of three goals in the space of four second-half minutes – around the hour mark - wrapped up a 4-0 triumph against ON Chenecks at Hall Road.

Jordan Brown had earlier made a 16th minute breakthrough before Tom Coles doubled the advantage and recent recruit Brandon Taverner opened his Rovers account with a 60-second brace.

Huntingdon bowed out of the UCL KO Cup when going down 2-0 to Oadby Town at Jubilee Park.