NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Miserable return to the Eynesbury Rovers hotseat for manager Mark Ducket - and a bad break for cousin James Ducket

Eynesbury Rovers captain James Ducket suffered a broken nose in their defeat at Boston Town. Picture

Eynesbury Rovers captain James Ducket suffered a broken nose in their defeat at Boston Town. Picture: ROB MORRIS - Credit: Archant

Manager Mark Ducket endured an unhappy return to the Eynesbury dugout yesterday.

Rovers’ first outing for three weeks ended in a 2-0 defeat at struggling Boston Town – a team winning for the first time since November – in the United Counties League Premier Division.

Ducket has been cleared to attend Eynesbury games again while awaiting an appeal date over his seven-match stadium ban. He had missed their previous two fixtures last month – and probably wished he was absent for this lacklustre Lincolnshire loss as well!

Ducket described the display of his side as ‘useless’ but was also far from happy with the officials after an off-the-ball elbow, which forced defender James Ducket off with a broken nose just been half-time, was missed.

“James took an elbow straight on his nose which was left pouring with blood,” said Ducket. “But the referee and his assistant both said they didn’t see it.

“We were useless as a team and completely went to pot after losing James, but again the officials were abysmal.”

Ducket handed a debut to loan recruit Ash Fuller and sent on striker James Tricks for his first appearance following the injury to James Ducket.

Most Read

There was also a Rovers league debut for Cavan King – the son of assistant boss Richard – after he previously stepped in as an emergency goalkeeper for a Hinchingbrooke Cup success against Potton in early February.

A biting wind and frequent flurries of snow made life difficult for both sides and chances were understandably few and far between.

James Ducket made a fine block to keep out a goal-bound Lewis Scattergood shot while goalkeeper Aaron Butcher saved well from Fraser Bayliss.

Rovers’ only noteworthy effort of the opening period arrived on the stroke of half-time when Dan Draper headed a Hayden Bream corner inches wide.

But they found themselves behind nine minutes in the second half as Cameron Johnson pounced after a Richard Ford shot was blocked.

And the deficit doubled a quarter-of-an-hour later when Johnson struck again in much more spectacular fashion, beating Butcher with a fine strike from the left.

Rovers never looked like clawing their way back into the contest and only a double-save from Butcher prevented Boston from finding the net again in the dying seconds.

Eynesbury travel to Yaxley on Tuesday for a Hunts Senior Cup semi-final. It has been switched to the Premier Division leaders’ 3G surface after twice being postponed in recent weeks.

The same two teams then meet in a Hinchingbrooke Cup semi-final, which has been put back to March 27 after initially being scheduled for this Tuesday.

Ducket’s appeal over his ban will be heard on April 16.