NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Lee Clarke hits hat-trick as St Neots Town ease past Ely City, but St Ives Town draw a blank in first summer setback
- Credit: Archant
Player-coach Lee Clarke hit a hat-trick as St Neots eased to an emphatic pre-season friendly success yesterday.
Saints continued their preparations for the new Southern League Premier Division campaign by putting Ely City to the sword.
Matt Clements’ men emerged 7-0 winners against their hosts, who play two levels lower, with new loan signing Matty Foy also on the scoresheet in his first appearance for the club. The teenager has arrived on loan from Cambridge United.
Scott Sinclair, Tom Wood and Lewis Wilson were the other St Neots men to find the net.
Fellow Southern League Premier Division side St Ives Town suffered their first defeat of the summer when losing 2-0 at Peterborough Sports.
They conceded a brace of Mark Jones goals in the first half against a Northern League Division One South side managed by promotion-winning former Saints player Jimmy Dean.
Ex-St Neots midfielder Rogan McGeorge was an impressive trialist for Sports. He is currently without a club after leaving Stamford at the end of last season.
- 1 Jail for paedophile who photographed abuse
- 2 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 3 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 4 Motion passed to send letter to Michael Gove after objections to incinerator plan
- 5 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 6 Charming 'cakery' selling sweet treats opens in Ramsey
- 7 Mother of Rikki Neave 'told the truth and nothing but the truth', jury told
- 8 Jail for suspected hare courser who forced cars off road during police pursuit
- 9 Serious case review launched into death of Teddie Mitchell
- 10 Huntingdonshire History Festival returns this summer
Eynesbury were also beaten by a set of Step 4 newcomers yesterday. They went down 3-1 to Mildenhall Town at Hall Road with summer signing Dom Lawless grabbing the Rovers goal.
There was an incredible scoreline in a friendly involving Eaton Socon.
The Cambs League Premier Division side won 18-0 at Caldecote – a team who also play at Step 7 level – with Lee Bassett helping himself to eight of the goals.
Fellow frontman Rhys Thorpe struck five times with Callum Stockwell, Owen Dixon and Dean Parratt also finding the net.
Other Saturday friendly results: AFC Barley Mow 2 (Colmer, Lacey), Huntingdon Utd 0; Great Paxton 2 (Carr, Archer), Somersham Tn Res 1.