NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Jamie Waterworth the late hero as 10-man Huntingdon advance
- Credit: Archant
Jamie Waterworth hit a last-gasp winner as 10-man Huntingdon made United Counties League KO Cup progress yesterday.
Waterworth, who has recently returned to Town from local side AFC Barley Mow, delivered a stunning individual strike in the dying moments to earn a 3-2 triumph against Bugbrooke at Jubilee Park.
Town had earlier opened up a two-goal advantage courtesy of Ben Colmer and Luke Young, but they were pegged back by their lower-level visitors before having skipper Michael Chow dismissed for collecting a second caution with a quarter-of-an-hour to go.
But Waterworth ensured Town could celebrate and boss Bob Warby could breathe a sigh of relief.
He admitted: “We could easily have thrown in the towel after surrendering a two-goal lead to a team playing route one football.
“That was compounded by my mistake of not substituting my captain after he was booked even though I had a replacement stripped and ready to go on.
“We had to dig really deep with 10 men and we produced that little something special that my lads have the ability to do.
- 1 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 2 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 3 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 4 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 5 Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 6 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 7 Jacob Crawshaw memorial football match raises more than £8,100
- 8 7 places where you can tuck into a carvery in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Plans for new Pightle land in Eaton Socon after generous donation
- 10 Huge Victorian house with pool and gym on sale for £1.75m
“It was a great run and calm finish from Jamie, and it certainly left one relieved gaffer in the dug out!”
Huntingdon’s reward is another home tie against another Division One side – Whittlesey Athletic – in the next round.