NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Hunts Senior Cup surprise as Eynesbury Rovers topple holders St Ives Town to reach the final

Hayden Bream hit Eynesbury's opening goal against one of his former clubs.

Hayden Bream hit Eynesbury's opening goal against one of his former clubs. - Credit: Archant

Eynesbury caused a major Hunts Senior Cup shock to reach the county final for the second successive season.

The United Counties League Premier Division side dumped out holders St Ives Town, who play two rungs higher up the non-league ladder, in a semi-final clash last night.

The fixture provided a repeat of the 2016 final, but it came complete with a very different outcome as Rovers avenged a 2-0 defeat in that showpiece clash by triumphing by the same scoreline.

And it was two former Saints men who provided the goals.

Midfield ace Hayden Bream opened the scoring seven minutes before the break with a low drive from long range, and substitute Allan Owen clinched victory four minutes into second-half stoppage time as the visitors threw everything forward in search of a leveller.

In between those Eynesbury goals came a catalogue of chances for St Ives, but they all went begging due to errant finishing, excellent goalkeeping, desperate goal-line clearances and one due to the welcome (for Eynesbury, at least) presence of a post.

Danny Kelly was the man to be denied by the woodwork just four minutes after the hosts had hit the front.

Most Read

Lee Chaffey and Jordan Jarrold were both denied by goal-line clearances – from Daniel Moyes and Craig Smith – in the same attack before substitute Jack Higgs drove straight at Eynesbury goalkeeper Jamie Greygoose.

And another double-opportunity was spurned as Rovers defenders continued to put their bodies on the line.

Dan Buddle brilliantly blocked a Chaffey effort before Kelly steered the rebound just wide with Greygoose rooted to the spot.

St Ives also had two strong penalty appeals were also waved away by referee Jon Burridge on what became a night of frustration.

And, as their attempts to salvage the contest became all the more desperate, Eynesbury took advantage as Owen sealed their passage into the final with the finest result yet of Mark Ducket’s splendid reign.

Their reward is a final date against local rivals St Neots Town on Wednesday, April 26. It will be played at the Premier Plus Stadium, the home of their opponents.