NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Huntingdon Town hit the goal trail to blitz Long Buckby
- Credit: Archant
Huntingdon Town are celebrating their biggest win for three-and-a-half years.
Town roared to a 5-0 success at Long Buckby in Division One of the United Counties League last Saturday - and co-bosses Jimmy Brattan and Ryan Hunnings liked what they saw from their side.
Jamie Waterworth fired Huntingdon ahead from the penalty spot before classily doubling their tally just before the half-hour mark when clipping the ball past an advancing goalkeeper and slotting into the empty net.
Keishon Wilson and Chae Simons bagged their first Town goals when striking either side of half-time before Antonio Dello Russo completed the scoring with a quarter-of-an-hour to go.
Brattan said: “The lads knew a good display was needed and they delivered it to earn an important win.
You may also want to watch:
“We started a little slowly and took time to find our feet, but once we got going we played very well.
“We were patient, we played some good football on the floor, and we got our rewards for it.
- 1 Seven of the prettiest villages in Huntingdonshire
- 2 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 3 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 4 Strictly's Anton and Giovanni dazzle in sensational return to live theatre
- 5 'People are angry' - hundreds protest outside Camp Beagle
- 6 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 7 Protestors demand so-called beagle puppy ‘death camp’ is shut down
- 8 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 9 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 10 Village Focus: Silver coins among ancient finds in Hartford
“We still have work to do, and myself and Ryan will keep pushing the boys hard.”
The triumph at Long Buckby was the biggest Town success since a 9-0 romp at S & L Corby in April, 2014. That victory came towards the end of the club’s best-ever season in which they won two trophies and finished as Premier Division runners-up.
The current crop of Huntingdon players are back in action tonight (Tuesday) when they travel to Division One bottom side Burton Park Wanderers.
The basement boys have lost all five league games to date, but have recently appointed one-time Town chief Daren Young as manager.