NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Huntingdon Town and Godmanchester Rovers suffer home defeats

Jordan Brockett came closest to a goal for Huntingdon in their defeat to Newport Pagnell.

Jordan Brockett came closest to a goal for Huntingdon in their defeat to Newport Pagnell. - Credit: Archant

There were defeats for two Huntingdonshire sides last night.

Huntingdon Town went down to a 4-0 loss at the hands of Newport Pagnell in a United Counties League Premier Division clash at Jubilee Park.

While the scoreline was ultimately an emphatic one, it is abundantly clear (even at this early stage of the season) that Huntingdon are an improved outfit.

Boss Bob Warby and his coaching team have Town considerably better drilled than they were during the disastrous 2015/16 season, in which they won only two league games.

It took Newport Pagnell, a side who are a sound bet to be located somewhere around the top six come the end of the campaign, until just before half-time to hit the front.

Even then, the opening goal had a touch of good fortune about it as Paul Edgeworth reacted smartly to head what appeared to be an off-target blast past Richard Roberts.

The debutant Town goalkeeper prevented his side from falling further behind within a minute thanks to a fine stop at his near post, but Town’s deficit did double only 40 seconds into the second half.

Most Read

Roberts dashed from his goal to kick clear during a bout of defensive dithering, but he could only direct the ball to visiting midfielder Greg Ling, who returned it back past him and into the gaping net from the best part of 30 yards out.

A smart save denied Jordan Brockett (back in the Town team after his weekend no-show) an almost instant reply, but it was Pagnell who struck again on 54 minutes when defender Adam Pryke was quickest to pounce after Roberts had spilled a free-kick.

A second goal from Ling added completed the scoring with eight minutes to go.

Godmanchester Rovers suffered late heartbreak in the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division last night.

They went down to a 1-0 home defeat at the hands of Newmarket Town, who struck in the final minute at the David Wilson Homes Ground.

It was a sucker-punch for a Rovers side who had been denied by the woodwork when Chris Jones fired against the underside of the bar in the opening period before Chae Simons missed a great chance from close range.

The Newmarket team featured Jack Watson and Charlie Bowen, two of the many players to leave Rovers during the summer.