NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Godmanchester Rovers on the rise after Boxing Day success while Eynesbury Rovers pick up a point
- Credit: Archant
Godmanchester Rovers were rewarded with a rise into their highest Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division position of the season after grabbing Boxing Day glory.
Ollie Drake’s side climbed to fifth in the standings thanks to a 2-1 triumph at Newmarket Town - leapfrogging the beaten hosts in the process.
Charlie Bowen headed the opening goal against a club he left recently to return to Rovers, but Newmarket levelled.
Jack Chandler then headed the decisive goal midway through the second half to extend Godmanchester’s unbeaten run to seven league games. Six of those have ended in victory.
“It was another deserved victory thanks to another mature performance,” said boss Drake.
You may also want to watch:
“It was a tough battle but two great headed goals earned us the three points. I’m delighted with the boys.”
Eynesbury were involved in a 1-1 United Counties League Premier Division draw at Yaxley.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 5 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 Reflect on the 'rich tints of Autumn' at open gardens this weekend
- 8 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 9 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
Craig Smith saw an effort cannon off the underside of the bar before Rovers hit the front thanks to James Ducket’s first goal of the season just before the half-hour mark.
But his header from a Dan Draper free kick was cancelled out nine minutes later.
Both sides hit the woodwork in the second half with Eynesbury top-scorer Dom Lawless denied by a post.
Eynesbury remain sixth in the standings.