NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Firsts all round as St Neots Town swoop for Southern League Premier Division away success
- Credit: Archant
St Neots Town hit the right notes – on the pitch at least – during a day of firsts.
Saints collected their first away success of the Southern League Premier Division season with a 2-0 triumph at Weymouth.
It was achieved courtesy of summer recruit Jordan Patrick’s first goals for the club and also came complete with a first clean sheet of the season.
Davies said: “We knew we had to step things up on the road and I’m very pleased with our first away win.
“It was great to see Jordan get off the mark for the club and he took both goals very well.
You may also want to watch:
“A clean sheet was a massive bonus as we were keen to tighten up defensively.”
Patrick cut inside to break the deadlock just before the half-hour mark with a 25-yard strike and then doubled the advantage when finding the net again with 20 minutes to go as Saints struck on the counter-attack after soaking up plenty of pressure.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 7 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 8 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 9 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 10 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
And they celebrated victory by dusting off their vocal chords on the long trip back from Dorset as the club’s many new players conducted their singing initiations – evidence of which can be found on social media for anyone brave enough to listen!
* St Neots will entertain Northern League Division One (South) side Stamford AFC in the first qualifying round of the FA Cup on September 3. Stamford beat Sleaford yesterday.
* St Neots Reserves climbed to the top of the Spartan South Midlands League Division Two table yesterday - only four games into their debut season - courtesy of a 6-0 win against Grendon Rangers.