NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Eynesbury Rovers win league opener, Godmanchester Rovers begin on a losing note, St Neots Reserves tame the Lions
- Credit: Archant
Eynesbury launched their United Counties League Premier Division title challenge in winning style.
Rovers triumphed 2-0 at Cogenhoe United on Tuesday night thanks to first-half goals from new signing Declan Rogers and Jordan Brown.
Eynesbury were then reliant on a number of smart saves from goalkeeper Dan George, in the second period of his first Premier Division appearance for the club, to preserve their advantage.
Godmanchester Rovers were beaten in their first Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division outing on Tuesday.
Ollie Drake’s men lost 2-0 at early pacesetters Coggeshall Town after also bowing out of the FA Cup – at Cogenhoe – last weekend.
St Neots Town Reserves were victorious in their first outing at Step 6 level last night (Wednesday).
The Saints second string won 1-0 at London Lions in their Spartan South Midlands League Division One opener which featured an early goal and a late penalty save.
- 1 Trainee chef reaches finals of national competition
- 2 Petition calls on county council to reject waste incinerator
- 3 Cigarette butt in stolen car puts burglar behind bars
- 4 Bakery and baking school opens after Crowdfunding push
- 5 East of England Tourism Awards 2021-2022: Pub of the Year finalists
- 6 'The impossible is possible' - Cambs' Kat Cordiner breaks Atlantic record
- 7 New bridal shop is childhood dream for Michelle
- 8 New fleet for Huntingdon care provider
- 9 Huntingdon man due in court on drug charges
- 10 Lack of NHS dentists see people resorting to 'Victorian' teeth pulling
Dean Parratt made the breakthrough after eight minutes while goalkeeper Alex Vitue capped a fine performance by keeping out a stoppage time spot-kick.