NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Defeats all round for St Ives Town, Eynesbury Rovers and Godmanchester Rovers

St Ives Town manager Ricky Marheineke.

St Ives Town manager Ricky Marheineke. - Credit: Archant

St Ives Town tasted Southern League Premier Division defeat for the first time last night.

Ricky Marheineke’s side conceded early goals in both halves when slipping to a 2-0 reverse at Buckinghamshire side Chesham.

Tom McGowan came closest to a Saints goal with a first-half piledriver that flashed wide on a night when they were unable to manage a single effort on target.

Marheineke said: “We gave Chesham too much time and space early on and were punished for it as they scored.

“It was a very preventable goal, which makes it all the more frustrating, but it highlights again that small mistakes gets punished at this level of football.

“It happened against Stratford last Saturday and it happened again at Chesham, and it is something we need to cut out.

“We then got ourselves going and created chances, but a dubious refereeing decision led to a free-kick which we failed to defend properly as Chesham doubled their lead.

Most Read

“I told the players afterwards that they will have to get used to the feeling of losing a game of football.

“It didn’t happen too many times last season, but we have to be realistic and accept there will be more defeats at this level.

“We just need to dust ourselves down, stick together and go again at Cinderford on Saturday.”

Two other local sides started their league seasons on a losing note last night.

Eynesbury Rovers boss Mark Ducket branded his side’s display in a 4-2 defeat at Wellingborough in the United Counties League Premier Division as the worst of his eight-month reign.

Tom Coles continued his sizzling start to the new season with both Rovers goals to follow up a hat-trick last Saturday, but they weren’t enough to avoid defeat at the Dog & Duck on a night when striker Chris Francis was dismissed for picking up two cautions.

New-look Godmanchester were beaten 4-1 at Saffron Walden in their first Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division outing.

Former Huntingdon man Chris Jones was the Rovers goalscorer.