NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Co-boss bemoans worst referee he has seen for years after Huntingdon Town collect 10 cards in cup exit

Huntingdon co-boss Jimmy Brattan. Picture: HUNTINGDON TOWN FC

Huntingdon co-boss Jimmy Brattan. Picture: HUNTINGDON TOWN FC - Credit: Archant

Huntingdon Town co-boss Jimmy Brattan blasted the referee who issued 10 cards to his team as they bowed out of the United Counties League KO Cup last night.

Town were beaten 4-1 in extra-time at fellow Division One side Blackstones.

They collected eight cautions during the first-round tie - two of which led to dismissals for Ruben Rey (early in the second half) and Christian Le (moments into extra time).

And Brattan was far from impressed with the performance of official Scott Hamilton. He was also critical of the approach taken by the home team.

Brattan said: “The referee was awful - the worst I have seen for years.

“He dished out so many silly bookings. We had eight and I only agreed with two or three of them - the others were very soft.

“The game was ruined by poor officials and I feel sure we would have won it had we not had players dismissed.

Most Read

“Blackstones only started to play football on the ground when we went down to nine men - other than that it was ugly long ball, hoof and chase.

“I would like to be able to say we lost to the better side - but we didn’t. The officials had such a big impact on how the game went.”

Jamie Waterworth fired Huntingdon ahead in the first half, but they were pegged back in stoppage time before the break. Brattan claims the goal was scored in the fifth additional minute when referee Hamilton told him there were only two minutes to be added on.

Rey became the first Town man to receive his marching orders just before the hour mark for picking up second booking - even though Brattan believes his player was on the receiving en of a foul from an opponent.

Town remained on level terms to take the match into extra time, but their hopes of victory were all but ended when Le received his second caution. That was one of the few decisions that Brattan accepted.

Blackstones capitalised on their two-man advantage to strike three times.

Eynesbury Rovers were knocked out of the same competition on Tuesday night.

Mark Ducket’s side lost 4-1 to holders Yaxley in a preliminary round clash at Hall Road.

Tom Coles hit the Rovers goal.