NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Capture of Johnny will boost the St Neots Town Herd
- Credit: Archant
St Neots Town have signed a player who once created a goal against Chelsea!
Saints chief Matt Clements has snapped up left-back Johnny Herd this morning to boost the club’s battle against relegation from the Southern League Premier Division.
The 27 year-old arrives from National League South strugglers Bishop’s Stortford, where he has spent the last four-and-a-half seasons.
But Herd’s impressive CV also includes 42 appearances for Southend United in the professional game after rising through the Shrimpers’ youth ranks.
One of those was at Stamford Bridge when in January, 2009 when his long throw led to an equaliser for Southend against Chelsea in an FA Cup third round draw.
You may also want to watch:
“Johnny is an excellent player who has always been at higher levels.
“He has played in the Football League and the National League, and I’m delighted to be able to bring him to St Neots.
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 3 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 4 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 5 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 6 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 9 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 10 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
“I’m also thankful to Bishop’s Stortford for agreeing to release him.”
Herd will go straight into the Saints’ squad for their trip to Banbury tomorrow which marks the start of a daunting run of Premier Division fixtures.
They jumped out of the relegation zone by beating Dorchester last week, but now face four successive matches against promotion-chasing teams.
Clements has missed out on a central defensive target, but is still seeking to strengthen all areas of the Saints squad.