NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Boss Andy Davies takes ‘full responsibility’ as St Neots Town concede five goals for the second successive Saturday

Declan Rogers was one of three St Neots Town players to be denied by a goal-line clearance at Dunsta

Declan Rogers was one of three St Neots Town players to be denied by a goal-line clearance at Dunstable. Picture: CLAIRE HOWES - Credit: Archant

St Neots Town manager Andy Davies took full responsibility for another heavy setback yesterday.

Saints were thumped 5-2 at Stratford to remain in the Southern League Premier Division relegation zone – and Davies admits there can be no repeat of a feeble first-half collapse.

His side conceded twice in the opening 10 minutes to Liam Francis and Michael Taylor before Edwin Ahenkorah tucked away a 13th minute penalty.

Ahenkorah struck again on the stroke of half-time and completed his trebles two minutes into the second period.

Saints salvaged a slice of pride late on as Declan Rogers hit his 12th goal of the season before Nassim L’Ghoul bagged a first for the club in stoppage time.

“We gifted Stratford three goals within the opening quarter of an hour – and it is very difficult to come back from a start like that,” admitted Davies.

“Not one person in a St Neots shirt did enough in the first half and we couldn’t have any complaints about coming in 4-0 down.

Most Read

“It took us an hour to let Stratford know we were there and on the same pitch. We did take our two goals well, but it was far too little, far too late.

“We will be in big trouble if we continue to produce the sort of performance that we gave in the first half.

“I take full responsibility for the result. It was my team, my selection and my players.

“All I can say is that I feel all the same emotions as our supporters do.”

Saints remain a point from safety after conceding five times for the second successive Saturday. This loss came seven days after a 5-1 home drubbing at the hands of Hayes & Yeading with a point earned against Cirencester in midweek.

They will make another attempt to play their League Challenge Cup second-round tie at lower-level Aylesbury on Tuesday night.