Nine-year-old Izzy makes dragon boat competitive debut
- Credit: Archant
Nine-year-old Izzy Gallon from St Neots became the darling of the British Dragon Boat Association League event at Albert Docks.
The youngest association member took to the drum for the first time in a competitive race with the ladies of Cambridgeshire Royals.
Izzy said: “When my dad told me I might be drumming a real race I was really excited but I was also a little bit nervous. It was much choppier than where we normally train and so I was a little bit scared. I was also nervous in case I messed up, but everybody was really nice.”
The Royals once again proved that they can keep up with the best. They finished third in the Minor Final and claimed a seventh overall placing for
the 200m and then a second in the Minor Cup Final before emerging with an overall placing of sixth in 500m races.
You may also want to watch:
Team manager Paul Saywell said: “The highlight of my day was the 500m final against the best crews in this country and beating the 2014 premier champions Amathus.”
The Royals will next be racing at the British Dragon Boat Association National League finals, held over the weekend of 20/21 September at the Nottingham Water Sports Centre.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 5 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 6 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 7 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 8 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 9 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k