Neots run up record win

RECORD signing Stefan Moore stole the show as a clinical St Neots ran up their biggest win since 1968.

FA Vase

St Neots Town 11-0 Felixstowe & Walton

RECORD signing Stefan Moore stole the show as a clinical St Neots ran up their biggest win since 1968.

It took Moore just two touches to open his account, and he ended the first half with four as Neots went into the break 9-0 up.

After the easiest team talk of Dennis Greene’s career, the home side added two in the second period to push the score into double figures against their Ridgeons Premier League opponents.

Though Moore was the centre of attention, Shane Tolley extended his Saints record to 13 goals in eight games with his second hat-trick. Opportunities came for every player, and Lewis Webb, Will Fordham, Lewis Hilliard, and Dan Jacob also got their names on the scoresheet.

Most Read

Felixstowe and Walton were dealt a huge blow in the first minute when goalkeeper Liam Jones was stretchered off with a suspected broken tibia following a collision with Fordham at a corner.

The injury seemed to rock the visitors and the Saints capitalised ruthlessly, running up three goals in 10 minutes.

Moore announced his arrival at the Hunts Post Community Stadium by bending a long-range shot past replacement keeper James Waters and into the top corner within two minutes of the restart.

Moments later it was 2-0 as Lewis Hilliard fired across goal and Webb headed home from close range.

On 11 minutes it was 3-0 as Tolley glided past two defenders and shot left-footed across the goalkeeper.

Moore fed Tolley for his second on 19 minutes, showing a glimpse of a partnership that could terrorise UCL defences this season. With the match already seemingly decided, Neots made the most of their opponents weaknesses.

When Hilliard was felled on the edge of the box, Fordham stepped up to drive the free-kick under the wall and through Waters’ hands for 5-0.

Moore hit the bar with a snap-shot from 18 yards, before finishing calmly for his second, rounding Waters, and nearly walking the ball over the line.

He was tripped in the box minutes later and dusted himself down to complete his hat-trick, netting the rebound after Waters had saved.

Hilliard shot across Waters from six yards to make it 8-0 and Moore clipped round the unfortunate keeper a minute before the break.

An energised Felixstowe went close through Adam Hampson and Dan Spencer in the second half, before Tolley fired home 62 minutes to take his tally to three and Neots’ to 10.

As substitutions disrupted the game, Moore dropped into midfield and laid Jacob on for his goal to bring the total to 11-0.