Neots cruise through Vase encounter

ST NEOTS Town clocked up their tenth win on the bounce as they swatted aside their visitors from the Essex Senior League.

FA Vase Second Round

St Neots Town 6-1 Burnham Ramblers

ST NEOTS Town clocked up their tenth win on the bounce as they swatted aside their visitors from the Essex Senior League.

Three goals in each half sewed the game up, but it could have been more had Neots taken their chances.

You may also want to watch:

Shane Tolley continued his prolific run, claiming two and laying on another for Lewis Hilliard, and skipper Glen Fuff claimed his first goal in 84 Saints appearances.

Midfielders Lewis Webb and Rob Hughes scored at either end of the second half to bring up the half-dozen.

Most Read

With winger Kieran Davies cup-tied, Junior Kanuda started in central midfield, and Jordan Gent was drafted in at centre-back after Will Fordham failed a late fitness test.

Saints sprinted out of the blocks, and got off to the perfect start to go ahead after 25 seconds, when Tolley capitalising on defensive hesitancy and his golden boot did the rest.

Hilliard doubled the lead when Tolley knocked down a searching Dan Jacob cross into his path.

Saints continued to apply pressure, and restricted Ramblers to half-chances. Kanuda wandered through the midfield challenges to create chance after chance for Neots, with Moore coming closest to adding a third when he pounced on a rebound but saw his shot bravely smothered by the visiting keeper.

Burnham’s Michael Fox warmed the hands of Saints keeper Tim Trebes with a free-kick, but Fuff, Webb and Tolley all had chances for the home side.

Three minutes before the break a Hilliard corner from the right found the unmarked Glen Fuff, and he brought one of the biggest cheers of the season as he found the top corner.

After the restart, Webb the game safe as he slotted home from a tight angle at the second attempt.

Burnham struck back on the break, as Billy Hunt gathered Bradley Nobbs’ cross from the right and saw his shot deflect off Jack Bradshaw and loop over Trebes.

Tolley deftly lobbed a volley over the keeper and into the far corner from Jacob’s cross to make it 5-1, but the goal of the game came four minutes from time.

Left-back Theo Davis broke up a Burnham attack and one-touch exchanged passes with substitute Tony Scully, who fired across a low ball which was swept home by Hughes.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter