Neots and Ives pick up wins
ST NEOTS and St Ives took midweek victories, while King’s Lynn dropped points in the UCL Premier Division.
ST NEOTS Town returned to league duty and claimed their 11th consecutive win at Wellingborough Town on Tuesday.
Well below their best, Saints fell behind in the first minute when Joe Powers powered down the left and crossed for Mark Reddings to force home.
The visitors recovered quickly, and were level within five minutes when Shane Tolley’s audacious flick found Stefan Moore, who powered between two defenders to score.
Tolley capitalised on a training-ground free-kick move to put Saints ahead after 29 minutes, but they had to wait until deep into the second half to tie up the points, when Moore crossed to the far post and Tolley headed in.
You may also want to watch:
The result was especially important as rivals King’s Lynn Town dropped points at Blackstones on Wednesday evening in a 1-1 draw. Danny White put the Linnets ahead after 55 minutes, but a penalty for the home side 10 minutes later allowed Addie Staffieri to put Stones level.
St Ives Town were also on form on Tuesday night, picking up three points at home to Rothwell Corinthians, courtesy of headers from Scott Fielding and Lee Ellison.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 5 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 6 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 7 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 8 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 9 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 10 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
Both sides passed up chances to score from the penalty spot, with Ozie Foster seeing his first-half effort for Ives saved, and Tom Johnson shooting wide for the visitors.
But the Saints made their pressure count when Fielding nodded home Declan Rogers’ centre on the hour, and Ellison made the points safe after meeting Liam Kennett’s free-kick.