National title triumph for St Neots bowler Jamie Barker
- Credit: Archant
St Neots can boast a new national champion in the shape of bowler Jamie Barker.
He came through six matches in two days to win the England Men’s National Junior Singles Championship at Leamington.
A 21-7 final triumph over Kent opponent Perry Martin – a fellow England junior international - clinched the Under 25 crown which represents the biggest success yet for the 19 year-old.
Barker said: “It still feels a bit surreal in all honesty. You need a really good couple of days to win a national title and I was fortunate enough to do that.
“Every player in the event is a good bowler in their own right and there is nothing even close to being an easy game. I had brilliant support from friends, family and other bowlers which certainly helped.”
You may also want to watch:
Barker beat four junior internationals in all on route to glory with notable victories over Jamie Walker (Northants) in the last 16, Ben Render (Yorkshire) at the quarter-final stage and Ryan Atkins (Worcestershire) in the semi-finals where he recovered from 19-14 down to snatch a 21-19 win.
Other St Neots players have been in action at the national finals. The quartet of Alex Walton, Wayne Bailey, Chris Falkner and Ross Tomlinson went out in the third round of the men’s fours while Rebecca Moorbey and Emma Felce reached the second round of the women’s junior pairs.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 6 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 7 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 8 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 9 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 10 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity