National title success is right up Harli’s street
- Credit: Archant
Harli Whitwell has followed in the footsteps of her older sister, Shona, by becoming a national champion.
Whitwell (15) became the latest St Ives Boxing Academy talent to star on the big stage when winning the Under 63kg title at the Junior Development Championships - a novice event for fighters with fewer than six bouts behind them.
Whitwell overcame a slow start to see off Poppy O’Neill of the Ernie Oxers club in Rotherham courtesy of a final-round stoppage.
Father and coach Steve Whitwell said: “This was a great win for Harli and sets her up nicely for the upcoming National ABC Championships which start next month.
“Hopefully the success will put her back on the England radar as the selectors showed an interest last season.
You may also want to watch:
“Two sisters fighting in championships is very rare and it could be a first if they can both make it into the England team.”
Older sister Shona (17) is also due to be in action next month when representing the England team in a tournament in Bulgaria.
- 1 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 4 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 5 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 6 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 7 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 8 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder