National glory for St Ivo School Under 13 girls as they shine on the big stage
- Credit: Archant
St Ivo School Under 13 girls team produced a stunning performance to be crowned national champions this afternoon.
The local pupils powered to a 3-0 success against Shropshire school Thomas Telford in the final of the English Schools Football Association (ESFA) PlayStation Schools’ Cup.
Their display was worthy of the grand stage at the Madejski Stadium in Reading as Abby Townsend’s first-half opener was followed up by a Lucy O’Brien brace in the second period.
Only the crossbar prevented St Ivo ace Tia Everdell from hitting an early opener, but there was no denying them a breakthrough eight minutes before half-time when Townsend expertly controlled a Thomas Telford clearance before guiding a finish into the far corner of the net.
And St Ivo, coached by Lisa Trigg and Darren Marjoram, turned their dominance into further goals after the interval.
O’Brien latched onto a fine pass before doubling the advantage nine minutes after the restart and she put the result beyond doubt six minutes later when again finishing expertly after robbing a defender.
O’Brien also earned the player-of-the-match accolade – an award which carried the prize of a games console from the competition sponsor.
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 3 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 4 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 5 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 6 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 7 Jacob Crawshaw memorial football match raises more than £8,100
- 8 Huge Victorian house with pool and gym on sale for £1.75m
- 9 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
Everdell was again denied by the woodwork after unleashing a fine free-kick, but three goals was more than enough to earn victory.
It completed the first part of a possible double for St Ivo. Their Under 14 team also face opponents from Thomas Telford in their final tomorrow.
St Ivo School Under 13 squad: Lucy O’Brien, Abby Townsend, Zoe Barratt, Aimee Best, Sasha Brown, Ellen Bullin, Alice Claridge, Maddie Claridge, Ella Davies, Poppy Dunmore, Tia Everdell, Ella Hampton, Angel Lyden, Erin Waterman, Charly Woolstenholmes,