National glory for St Ivo School Under 13 girls as they shine on the big stage
- Credit: Archant
St Ivo School Under 13 girls team produced a stunning performance to be crowned national champions this afternoon.
The local pupils powered to a 3-0 success against Shropshire school Thomas Telford in the final of the English Schools Football Association (ESFA) PlayStation Schools’ Cup.
Their display was worthy of the grand stage at the Madejski Stadium in Reading as Abby Townsend’s first-half opener was followed up by a Lucy O’Brien brace in the second period.
Only the crossbar prevented St Ivo ace Tia Everdell from hitting an early opener, but there was no denying them a breakthrough eight minutes before half-time when Townsend expertly controlled a Thomas Telford clearance before guiding a finish into the far corner of the net.
And St Ivo, coached by Lisa Trigg and Darren Marjoram, turned their dominance into further goals after the interval.
You may also want to watch:
O’Brien latched onto a fine pass before doubling the advantage nine minutes after the restart and she put the result beyond doubt six minutes later when again finishing expertly after robbing a defender.
O’Brien also earned the player-of-the-match accolade – an award which carried the prize of a games console from the competition sponsor.
- 1 Emergency services close St Neots road after medical emergency
- 2 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 3 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 4 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 5 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 6 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 7 Haul of weapons including a knuckleduster seized from Little Paxton home
- 8 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
Everdell was again denied by the woodwork after unleashing a fine free-kick, but three goals was more than enough to earn victory.
It completed the first part of a possible double for St Ivo. Their Under 14 team also face opponents from Thomas Telford in their final tomorrow.
St Ivo School Under 13 squad: Lucy O’Brien, Abby Townsend, Zoe Barratt, Aimee Best, Sasha Brown, Ellen Bullin, Alice Claridge, Maddie Claridge, Ella Davies, Poppy Dunmore, Tia Everdell, Ella Hampton, Angel Lyden, Erin Waterman, Charly Woolstenholmes,